Thor beginner question and connection

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hi,

First of all, I’d like to apologize for my bad english as it is not my native language.

I’m Tim Beckers and I’m in my final year of industrial engineering studies in Belgium. For my internship/final work, I’ll need to realize a robotic arm, modelize it and make it move in virtual reality as well as in real time. The arm will need to be controlled with using the HTC Vive pro hand controller. The goal of this project is to demonstrate the feasability of such thing which can maybe be use in the future to do manual task at distance. If someone want more information about this, I’ll be glad to explain it more in depth.
    So, as my internship begin in February, I started to make some research about which robotic arm should I try to build and found this amazing project. I presented it to the startup whom I’ll work for and they were satisfied by the look of this. However they had some reservations about the quality that we could achieve with a budget printer (Creality ender 3 or Anycubic i3 mega). As I’m kind of new with 3D printing I can’t tell for sure but I think it’ll be alright, what are your opinion about this ? Considering that it’s just to show the principle, so we don’t need extreme accuracy.

Also, I’ve some question about the communication. I saw that the Thor is commended directly by giving him the different position via a serial communication. So I guess that it’s possible to implement a bluetooth module and transmit the command from the controller ? Does anyone know if it’s possible or not ? And also, I’d like to know if the communication for the movement are in real time or if the arm has to be programmed to do a certain sequence ?

Once again, sorry for my bad spelling.

Thanks in advance for your response,

Beckers Tim

</p

Angel LM
    Admin

Hi Tim!
      First of all sorry for the late reply, I didn’t receive the notification of this group…
      Your project sounds cool and I think that it could be achievable, but be careful about times! Building a Thor takes time: gather all the components, build it and test it can take months… If it is not a problem for you, go ahead!
      Thor uses GCodes sended by serial to move, so technically your bluetooth implementation is possible. I think that the only extra thing that you’ll need is a bluetooth adaptor for the Arduino Mega or another board with bluetooth connection that can send the commands via serial usb to the Arduino Mega (Something like an Arduino Uno with a bluetooth adaptor connected by serial to the Arduino Mega).
      The comunication for the movement is something between real time and sequence. In the moment you send a movement command the robot will start moving to the target position, but if the robot is moving when you send a movement command it won’t execute that command until it finishes the previous one.
      Hope it helps!Angel LM ;

Hi,
      Sorry for the late reply, I’m actually printing it and already have most of the components. I’ll keep on uptading my advancement !
      I just have a question, I want to print your gripper V2 (Link in the wiki aren’t correct by the way) and I found that the servo used is the ;Servo SG90 is that right ? And about the control, how do you do it ? Should I connect it to the control PCB or directly to the arduino ?
      Beckers Tim

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.