Suction cup tool

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Hi all, I designed a tool that uses a suction cup as the end effector.

I bought a suction cup & vacuum pump similar to what’s found here and designed a 3D printed holder that interfaces with the Thor robot. The kit comes with a controller that converts a servo-type pwm signal to an on-off power output for the vacuum pump. So it easily connects to the same pwm signal that the original gripper uses. You will need a separate 5-6V power supply for the pump, as the current draw is too much for the Arduino’s onboard 5V supply. What I did was make a 6V regulator that feeds directly from the 12V input supply.

The 45 degree angle of the tool helps the robot have a better work envelope. When coupled with the modded Art2BodyUnion part I posted previously, the robot can pick up objects as close as 14cm from the center of the base, to as far as 40cm.

I threaded the vacuum tube down through the inside of the robot, and have the pump in the robot’s base, which
    keeps the weight in the arm down.

Here is the STL file and FreeCAD design.

Video

• This topic was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by imernchavez.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by imernchavez.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by imernchavez.
    Angel LM
    Admin

Impressive job! Thanks for sharing the design! 🙂

I noticed that your robot has bearing supports under the second joint. It seems to me a great solution to release the load that falls on the axis. Have you noticed improvement in the movement?

Good eye! Yes it helps with the sag and improves the accuracy of the robot a bit.

Angel LM
      Admin

That’s what I was thinking…

Could I ask you for that design as well? I would like to include it in the modifications section of the github repository along with the design of your end-effector!
        In fact, if you have a github account and want to make a pull request with your designs to Thor’s repository, I’ll be happy to accept it 🙂

Pull request created! My first public contribution to GitHub. More to come soon 😉

Angel LM
        Admin

Thanks for the contribution! 😉

sebasshare
          Participant

Hi

I have a question about the video: how do you send so many grbl instructions and the arm doesn’t lose any movement? I mean, we try to send a couple of g-code strings and some of them are not performed because the arduino mega misses them.
            You have made a modification to add a bracket to art2 that helps support the weight of the arm. That’s was the solution for loss torque or arm fall?

Thanks.

Hola

Tengo una pregunta sobre el video: como envías tantas instrucciones en g-code y las ejecute sin que el brazo pierda ninguna de ellas? Nosotros cuando enviamos varias instrucciones juntas, algunas de ellas no se ejecutan porque el arduino mega las pierde.
            La modificación que hiciste en la articulación 2 sirvió para evitar la pérdida de torque o caída del brazo?

Gracias.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.