Hello from Poland

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Bartek Rachwal
    Participant

Hello All
      My name is Bartek. I have some experience in 3D modeling (I was working as CAD designer in automotive some time ago). Today I was looking for some good reason to learn Arduino platform and idea to build robot was great. So, 3D modeling is not a problem for me, my Ender 3 seems to be enough to print it out…
      But the main reason to start with Thor was that my 14-years old son just start his secondary school in mechatronic class and the primary target for me was to encourage him to do such things and to spend with him many, many hours TOGETHER with this project.

Now, 90% of thor is ready & assembled. Only gripper is missing. We are currently after first success – upload of grbl and first movement of robotic arm. Still some small problems to overcome and solve but even this stage for us is a big success! It moves incredibly 😀

So, that’s all for the moment. I’m sure, we will come back here with many questions…

Best regards
      Bartek & Wojtek

Angel LM
      Admin

Hello Bartek!

I’m sorry for this late reply, but welcome to the Thor community! I’m very happy that you and your son have chosen this project to build something together!
        It has been 3 months since your post. Have you finish the assembly? I’m very curious to see how it turned out 🙂

Best regards!

Bartek Rachwal
        Participant

Hello Angel

Finally we come back to our robotic arm… It spent some time on shelf mainly due to lack of enough powerful power supply. During tests, arm works well but sometimes during start, current peak was too high and our power supply cut off and thor arm felt down spectacuraly.
          Now power source problem is solved and we come back to this project. With more powerful power supply, all movements of robotic arm seems to be OK and missing gripper has been already stared to print. We are controling of this robot by serial port monitor in IDE Arduino environment and it works by simple commands G0 or G1 – just as you explain on your webside but controling it in that way, it seems to be impossible to prepare a sequence of operations (or just I don’t know how to achieve this).
          And here is my question:
          Does it possible to prepare a sequence of i.e. G0 commands and run such sequence to achieve several movements one by one (as we can see in your old movie when thor moves Rubik’s cube)?

Thank you in advance for any feedback

Best regards
          Bartek

Angel LM
          Admin

Hi Bartek!

Yes, it is possible to prepare a sequence of GCode commands.
            In the Rubik’s cube video I used the software Universal Gcode Sender to load a custom .gcode file and run it!

Creating a custom .gcode file is simply as open the Text Editor, write the GCode commands you want the robot to execute and save it as FileName.gcode
            After that, open the UGS, do the board connection, load the GCode file and run it 🙂

Hope it helps!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.