Building a new Thor in Australia!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    selexin
    Participant

Hi All!

I’m currently building a Thor in my spare time, while streaming on Twitch as I build it (my Twitch is https://twitch.tv/selexin). I’m also posting progress updates on TikTok & Youtube Shorts (@selexin on both of those).

Today I finished Art4 & 5, with a few hurdles along the way! I have actually needed to modify Art4BearingRing slightly to reduce the play in the bearing ring, as my ball bearings are 5.98mm rather than exactly 6mm. I’ll be submitting a PR to the GitHub repo shortly with the modified STEP and STL files 🙂

Anyway, just wanted to say hi and let you know another Thor is on the way!

• This topic was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by selexin.
      Angel LM
      Admin

Hi Selexin

Sorry for the late reply. I’ve just seen your shorts on YouTube and it’s amazing that you already have all the 3D printed pieces. And they look amazing!

Can’t wait to see it assembled and moving! 🙂

CarlosNalvarte
        Participant

Hi selexin, have you finished assembling the robotic arm? I’m having some mechanical problems with the two motors of articulation 2 (the ones that have helical gears and make contact with the indentations). Let me know if you had any problems with it or which other issues you might be having. My email is carlosnj95@gmail.com and my discord username is Sukistrukis#7685 or sukistrukis.

selexin
          Participant

Hi CarlosNalvarte! Unfortunately I have not finished assembling yet, I’ve had some life stuff come up since my last post which has put the build on hold, but I plan to continue with it this weekend! So far I have built Art 3&4, the gripper, and the top union, but have not got to Art 2 yet. What mechanical problems have you come against? Maybe we can solve them together – and if we share our prgress here we can help future builders as well.

Also hi Angel! Thanks for open sourcing this in the first place 🙂 I’m looking forward to completing it now I have time again!

CarlosNalvarte
            Participant

Today I was able to make the belt work so that’s awesome. I still have problems with Articulation 2, the gears of the motors seem to not grab the wall indentations of the 8-shaped piece. Even if I put them at the very top of the shaft of the motors, they just keep skipping the dents and the articulation ends up doing nothing. Since I’m using Thor to complete a Capstone project, I’m gonna set static articulation 2 and work with the rest. Articulation 2 and 3 have taken a lot of time to put together. I strongly recommend you to match the diameter of the shaft of your motors, do not drill the bore of your pulleys… you will lose time and it’s, mechanically speaking, not good. Always use a grinder for your rods. Don’t waste your time using sanding paper. It’s not accurate and most of the time the end result is not proper.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.